Monday, May 31, 2010

hay truck


Do you all wish on hay trucks?
 
For as long as I can remember, making a wish on a hay truck is the norm around here.  Maybe it's just a New York thing.  If you look back before the hay truck disappears, you negate your wish.

On our ride home from a long weekend in CT tonight, my husband and I were chatting, the car unusually quiet because all three kids fell asleep in the back.  All of a sudden I spotted a hay truck coming down the highway going the other direction.

"Hay truck!"  I hooted.

Yes!  I could use a good wish about now...

So it fell silent while we wished, and we drove on for a few miles - neither of us looked back or at the mirrors because we didn't want to lose our wish.  It's a rule.  I'm not gambling with it.

So after a couple of minutes in silence, my husband asks, "Do you think it is OK to have a string of wishes in one fell swoop, or is it only ONE wish allowed?"

I responded, "Well, I usually do one wish per hay truck, but rotate my favorites."

"Hm, I have four typical ones that I string together."

"Tell me yours and I will tell you mine."  I bargained.

HIS:
1) That we come into money
2) That he does a good job at work
3) That he does a good job with the town (he is our Town's Supervisor)
4) That I will hook up with him

So I laughed out loud.  He is such a guy.  I said, "THAT is what you choose to use your wishes on??!"

MINE:
1) That our family is safe
2) That our family is healthy
3) That our family is happy

He laughed out loud and says,  "Well, at least we have everything covered between the two of us!"

Good point.

No comments:

Post a Comment