Monday, May 10, 2010

sneaky imbalance

It just occurred to me that there is a tiny bit of a kid imbalance on my blog.  Kinda like if you came down on Christmas morning to find you had two presents while your sister had 21.  Or if you counted framed photos of your siblings around the house (as one of my kids once did.  I won't mention any names Kara.) and found that your brother had 88 pictures to your measly 11 (slight exaggeration).

I was going back looking for something I wrote on an old post, and it seemed to me that I talk about and post more pictures of Brooke than the other kids.  In my defense, I DO spend a lot more time with her on a daily basis.  And also she likes me and pays a lot of attention to me. :)

This is a typical exchange with me and Meg after school:
DOOR SLAMS. 
MEG: "Hey Mom!!  I am going to ride bikes with Gracie!"
ME: Did you have a good day?"
MEG: "Yup!"
ME: "Do you have any homework?"
MEG: "No!  I did it all at school!  Bye!"

This is a typical exchange with me and Alex after school:
DOOR SLAMS.
ME:  Hey hon, how was your day?"
ALEX: "Good.  Do we have any snacks?"
ME: "Just the same old stuff."
ALEX: "OK, I am going to meet Chris and Andrew and -- (insert one of the following:  [play soccer at the field]  [ride up and get a Slurpie] [go to the park]  [hang out].
ME: "OK - have fun and behave!  Bring your phone!"
ALEX: I know Mom! 

This is a typical exchange with me and Kara mid week, mid day:
PHONE RINGS.
ME: "Hey Hon!  What up?"
KAR: sleepy, gravelly voice "Oh hey Mommy."
ME:  "Are you still  sleeping, you lazy bum??"
KAR: "No!  OK, maybe."
ME:  "OK then, call me back when you wake up."
KAR: "OK Ma.  Love you."

This is a typical exchange between me and Brooke in a 45 second span:
BROOKE: "Mom will you play Trouble with me?"
ME: "OK, you go set up."
BROOKE: "Thanks MOM!!  You're the best Mom EVER!"
ME:"Thanks Brookie." smile.
BROOKE: "I love you Mom."
ME: "I love you Brooke."
BROOKE: "I love you to the moon and then back again and to the moon and then back again to INFINITY."
ME: "Well I love you PAST infinity."
BROOKE:  "Nothing is past infinity."
ME: "Well I love you a LOT."
BROOKE: "Can I be blue?  You can be yellow."
ME: "OK."
BROOKE: "I go first because I'm the youngest!"
ME: "OK."
BROOKE: "I won last time!  Remember Mom.  Remember I WON?!"
ME: "I remember, you were quite a sore winner.  I am gonna get you this time though!"
BROOKE: "But I won FIRST, right Mom?"
ME:  "Yup, you won the last game we played.  You can't be mad if I win this game though, right?"
BROOKE: "Right.  But I won FIRST."
ME: "Right."

I'm not sure if you get the general theme here -- being that the other kids give me a 10 second exchange, where they basically say "Hi, can I have food?  Bye."  And the little energetic Princess (who clearly is a touch obsessed with winning and being first) actually wants to hang around with me.

Obviously that won't last forever, but I'll take what I can get!


1 comment:

  1. You're so lucky, you have a house full that loves you even if everyone is busy doing something. I have Mike who loves me to death and me him but he's now 18 and getting his own life. Thank goodnesss for daycare, the love me and will play with me forever. One little one at a time.
    Take care and I'm off to get some housework done. Kids are napping, it's time to work. Have a great and blessed afternoon. God Bless my dear.

    ReplyDelete