Thursday, May 20, 2010

million dollar smile

straight teeth at last

I may have previously mentioned that my son Alex is an airhead.

He continues to confirm that belief of mine. 

Way back in March, my son lost his first set of retainers, after having them for a whopping two weeks.  That was also after 2 1/2 years of braces and other contraptions were removed.  The two pieces came to $274 to replace them, which we did -- agreeing to pay half, the other half was at his expense. 

Wouldn't you know, he has lost his upper retainer again. 

Another $134 for replacement (that I have to front, of course).  At first I told him I wasn't paying for it up front, I told him I would bring him back when he earned enough to cover it, but I discovered that not only is he an airhead,  he is also a master guilt-tripper!

He came into my room very early the other morning, telling me he couldn't sleep worrying that his teeth were going to get crooked again without the retainer.  He was willing to give up his cellphone (yes, I said that right) as an offering until he paid off the retainer if I would just please make the appointment and take him to the orthodontist.

What the heck was I supposed to say to that??  "Um no, Alex -- after spending upwards of $5000 on your beautiful teeth, and dragging your butt up to the orthodontist regularly for almost three years, I am going to teach you a lesson, and let them get good and crooked again."

UGH.  So now of course I have made the appointment, and of course will be bucking up for the THIRD retainer in three months.

What would you have done??


6 comments:

  1. Ugh! The same thing. Whatelse can you do? He's a kid and kids lose things, forget, space ou whatever. Plus he did come to you and offer up (gasp! and I'm impressed) his cell phone, so he knows the imporance and appreciates having the retainer. You'll get it back years from now.

    Anyway I'm here from the Friday blog hop and I'm your newest follower. Hope you visit my blog and follow me too? Can' have too many blog buddies if you ask me. Smile. Good looking young man by he way.
    http://hauplight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same as you, go into debt just a little further. I just found you from well the new friday follow but for the moment your son isn't the only airhead, I can't remember jack crap. Sorry. :o)
    Anyways, I'm your newest follower at the moment.
    Take care and God Bless. Off to read more about your wonderful family and life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 19 yr old went through 3 yrs of braces that cost a gazillion dollars also. He wore his retainer for a yr or so after the braces were removed, but by the end of 9th grade wouldn't wear it. His bottom teeth started to shift and he requested a trip to the orthodontist. Of course the old retainer no longer worked so I paid for the office visit and a new retainer. That was 14 months ago and he hasn't taken it out of the box!! I decided that when he want InvisiLine he can pay for it himself! That said, I'd do just what you did and buy a new one at this age. Maybe you could have him repay you by vacuuming your car each week or some other set chore for a set amount of time that he knows corresponds to the replacement of the retainer. Does he carry his case everywhere so that he can put it in there when eating or playing sports? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessee,

    Your husband is a lawyer, you should've charged your son the way he charges his clients. When he doesn't want to start a new client off on an hourly fee, he charges them a....RETAINER!

    Sorry, I absolutely couldn't keep that pun to myself. I tried. It only lasted 43 seconds. It's good to see that your son is so conscientious anyway.

    In the future I'll try to retain my puns in my mind.

    :) LG!

    ReplyDelete
  5. can't they slap a permanent retainer on? i wish my parents had.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea Alissa! Never even thought of that. Thanks! :) I will check at his appt on Fri & post an update. I can see this happening again and again...
    Lisa -- He is DEFINITELY working this one off with extra chores. Poor kid.

    ReplyDelete