Monday, May 3, 2010

may

I love May.   It's green and flowery and warm.  Everyone is happy to be past the cool mucky weather, and my kid's sports pick back up with gusto.  My husband's schedule at work calms down, so often times he actually makes it home before dark.  We get to use the grill again, swim, bike, picnic, hike and generally live it up. 

One thing I don't love about May though, is that it is the beginning of the most expensive season in our family.  It seems there are non-stop birthdays and celebrations starting in May for us, and this year we also happen to have several milestone-ish birthdays to celebrate.

My neice Kasey, who is also my God-daughter, turns 18 next week.  Then she graduates from high school a few weeks later.  My daughter Kara will be turning 21 at the end of May.  How did that happen?!  My baby Brookie will be graduating Pre-School, then turning the big FIVE this summer.  My Meggie will also be turning 9 in June, a few days before she wraps up third grade.

Meg thoughtfully suggested two ideas on what she would really, really like to get for her birthday.  One:  to re-do her bedroom -- the works -- new paint, bedding, curtains.  You know, something affordable (right??!  Gotta love a 9 yr old's perspective on what is affordable! ).  Two:  Just a simple (haha) trip to the city.  We can take the train in to the American Girl Doll store, and a quick stop at Build-a-Bear and FAO.  Maybe even see Mary Poppins on Broadway.  You know, a simple birthday.  Then she just wants a backyard bash, with all of her friends from 3rd grade.  I think I need to teach this girl a thing or two about what things actually cost.

Finally, to wrap up the summer season, we'll be heading off for a two week vacation in the Outer Banks, my mother's birthday, my step-father's birthday, two sister's birthdays, my husband's birthday, another two neice's birthdays and finally, my son's 13th birthday.  Phew!

Don't even ASK how Alex wants to celebrate his big crossing-into-teenager birthday this year.  All I know at this point is that it's definitely going to break the bank. 


No comments:

Post a Comment