Tuesday, May 11, 2010

third person


I'm going to go ahead and admit it, because the story just won't work without this embarrassing revelation.

I watch The Bachelor.  And The Bachelorette.  There were a few seasons missed because I wasn't particularly "feeling" the characters.  You know what I mean.  Right?

Anyway.  

In one of the seasons, there was that finalist, (to clarify, she was a finalist to marry a guy)  Melissa Rycroft.  She was cute and nice and perky and stuff.  She had good teeth.  She had everything going for her in my opinion.  But there was an episode where she referred to herself in the third person that just drove me up the wall.  Like she said something like, "What would Melissa like to say about that?  Well Melissa wouldn't like it!" 

There aren't too many things that bug me on such a level.  I wanted to reach through the TV and slap her.  Or at the very least, pull her hair.  And to make matters even more offensive, it was not a slip up!  Apparently, she talks like that often, because I heard it with  my own two ears on more than one occasion!  Yes, I know, that was a few seasons ago.  I've been hanging on to it for a while now though, and clearly need to just get it off my chest.

Who does that??!   Do people really refer to themselves in the third person in real life??  (You get a pass if you are patiently trying to explain something to a toddler.  For example: "Because Mommy said sticking the fork in the outlet is dangerous, that's why." )

So.  Just thought I would say that I think referring to one's self in the third person in conversation with peers or other adults is... well... highly UNCOOL, and could potentially call for your new fiance to dump you on national TV for the other sucker finalist girl.  You  know, the girl that probably does not refer to herself in the third person.

3 comments:

  1. I don't watch the Bachelor, but only because I have way too many other shows that I keep up with. (Although I did see that one episode where the girl totally lied about the relationship she had with the producer guy, and everyone could tell she was lying but she wouldn't admit it.) But yeah, talking about yourself in third person just seems to cross a line from being "quirky" to being "weird or bizarre." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessee,

    Ok, I don't want to burst any bubbles here (OK, maybe I do...) but a friend of mine was the bachelor a few seasons ago. I won't say which one to avoid getting him in trouble. He told me that much of it is staged and while they don't specifically tell the bachelor who to pick, the producers say things like "Lisa is testing really well with the audiences, it would really help ratings if you kept her around..."
    And other scenes were re-shot if the director didn't like the way they came off the first time. But , of course, all "reality" TV is deceptive in some way.

    Anyway, great blog, keep up the good work (and get more Alex photos in there!) - LG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks LG!! I am going to have to get that info out of you one of these days!! Interesting info... always suspected that it was more set up than we are lead to believe.
    --i will work on getting more pix of alex :)

    ReplyDelete