Thursday, May 27, 2010

air conditioning means a lot to me

Kind of took for granted how very wonderful air conditioned rides can be. 

I was reminded how much I enjoy air conditioning while traveling two and a half hours to a convention this week in a stifling car with my husband.

We had j u s t hopped on the thruway (about a full 7 minutes into the trip) when the air conditioner conked out.   I would like to point out that it was about 85 degrees OUTSIDE the car when this happened.

All of a sudden I was brought back to the nights spent tossing and turning, sweat pouring off of me and my poor sisters, wearing only undies as PJ's, in our ohsoveryHOT upstairs bedroom.  Horrible, sticky, endless nights in the sweltering heat.  And those rides from h. e. double hockey sticks in our old clunker, where we would hold our hands out the open window to try to fan ourselves.  Actually, I have to admit some of the car rides with our arms out the windows are fond memories.

But ANYWAY, our dumb air conditioning didn't work, til we were CONVENIENTLY getting off the exit to our destination.  Oh my Cod, I was so sweaty.  I may very well have stripped to my undies in the car if I could  have figured out a way to keep my husband's eyes on the road.

We are so spoiled with air conditioning in the house, the car.  My kids have never known a sweaty night spent tossing and turning with your hair stuck to the back of your neck, a sweaty car ride where your poor little legs stick to the seat, and make that sound every time you move.  I'm not sure if that is actually a good thing or a bad thing.  Maybe it built character in me and my sisters. 

All I know is, even though it was ridiculously hot, and our hair (well, my hair) was a crazy mess from blowing around with the windows down and the sunroof open, it was kind of fun.  Well, not really.   But it DID give us something to laugh about when we got to our hotel room and FINALLY cooled off.  AND a new-found appreciation for functioning air conditioners.

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! Kids are spoiled nowadays...in more ways then one! I too remember the days of sleepless nights and sweaty bodies! lol.

    Thanks for visiting me and for knowing how I feel! Yes you will be in the same position come next year when your daughter graduates! That time will come so fast! I'll be hear for you! We have alot in common!! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!
    Come on over and join the fun!! All new for Friday!! Its the Follow Friday 40 and Over Blog Hop!
    Make new friends and most of all...have fun!
    Hope to see you there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, just came over from Follow Friday 40 and Over Blog Hop at Java's Never Growing Old. Funny thing I was thinking these EXACT same thoughts yesterday about a/c ... remembering how brutal it was when we were kids and suffering in the heat. Brings back great memories though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm following you from the 40+ blog hop.

    ReplyDelete