Sunday, May 9, 2010

my day

Mine was a great, busy Mother's Day. 

I woke up to the sound of the kids whispering.  Alex was hustling them all out for their traditional yearly trek to the local Nursery, where they would each pick out their own flower to give me.

I stayed in bed, flipping through magazines and reading the news on the Internet, waiting for them to get back because they get so excited to come in and surprise me.

When they came home, I heard a lot of noise in the kitchen, banging and pots and pans and the oven beeping, the smell of coffee and warm cinnamon buns was winding its way up to my bedroom.  Before long, I heard them shuffling up the stairs.  I had to quick jump back into bed and pull up the covers, because I was up brushing my teeth, and it's more fun when they all pile in the bed with me to show me their treasures.

I got beautiful flowers from the kids and home made gifts and cards, and of course the cinnamon buns and coffee delivered to my bed.  My hon gave me a gorgeous Mother's birthstone bracelet from this awesome site, and also a "guilt-free hair cut and color,"  which is absolutely necessary.

I got a call from my girl in college, who wrote this, that made me cry.

We went to meet my sisters and Mom at a nearby diner for brunch.  I brought Mom a framed photo that I took of the river, which she really liked.  Brunch was noisy and chaotic and fun, we got lucky with a waitress who was able to handle our crazy group.  I was missing my sister Jen and her family though.

After the diner, we went to Alex's grandparents to deliver some flowers and a card.  We ended up going back for dinner (Pop's pulled pork -- yummmmm), which was really nice.  Alex's grandmother took out a photo album of her five boys and we went through all of the old pictures and heard great stories about them growing up.  Kind of a neat way to share Mother's Day with her.

By the time we got home, it was time for kid showers and bed.  I took a bath, actually.  It was so windy and cold outside, and it was nice to warm up and read in the tub for a bit.

When I came down, Alex and I snuggled up on the couch and watched The Amazing Race and flipped channels til we were sleepy and went up to bed. 

I loved today. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment