Tuesday, May 18, 2010

yellow car

My family has unwittingly started the wave of the future in car games.  This new game is all the rage in our area, and I feel the need to take some credit for it, as I fully expect it to travel far and wide and become as well known as Punch Buggy.  So far, it is played in two states that I know of at this time, NY and CT.  If you are aware of it being played elsewhere, please be sure to let me know -- and of course, make sure the players know where it allllll started.


We all know about the VW Punch Buggy revolution. VW must have held the title for longest running car game of all times. In my extensive research, I have discovered that it is thought to be that this game originated over 50 years ago!  Who knew? 


Our new game is called YELLOW CAR.  The rules are as follows:
1. A new game starts with each new car ride.
2.  When you spot a yellow car, you have to clap your hands and yell "Yellow Car!" before anyone else. (Sorry for you if you get a little over zealous and happen to be holding a cup of coffee - I learned this the hard way.  Thus I have perfected the one handed leg clap, which also counts.)
3.  Tie goes to the runner.  Wait, that's not right.  A legit tie is a point for each yeller. 
4.  You get one point per yellow car.
5.  The winner is the person with the most yellow car sitings in a trip.
6.  Yellow cars cannot be "work trucks," taxi's or school buses.  Our rule of thumb is no vehicles with writing on the sides.  If you call a yellow car on a vehicle that doesn't count, you lose a point.
7. There is a bonus.  If you see a rare and elusive PINK car, you call out "Pink, poke you owe me a coke!" and you get 5 bonus points.  So far, I am the only one lucky enough to have seen such a rarity.

You may think this game is a little juvenile.  But lets be real, you still look for someone to punch in the arm when you see a VW bug, admit it.  I think it's high time we go with a new car game.  And on the plus side, nobody gets a black eye while playing it.  Yellow Car comes on the heels of a few other failed attempts at car games made up by the winners in my own little family: "Cop Chop!" (karate chop your neighbor when you see a cop car), "Mini Van Toe Jam!" (stomp on said neighbors foot when you see a mini van - bad, bad game for the car pool area), also nixed "Church Van, Amen!" (just noisy yelling when one sees a cargo-styled van).

So lets hear it!  Try this game out and let me know if it flies on your rides. 

1 comment:

  1. Jessee, I have been playing this game for quite a while now! And Lily, the little stinker, usually beats me! She even spots them in the dark - no fair! I even play when I am driving by myself - I know that sounds pathetic, but one day I got 7 yellow cars on the way home from work! go me! lol
    Laur

    ReplyDelete