Sunday, March 28, 2010

what's for dinner?

It's definitely like clockwork. At some point during the day, my husband will call me and ask, "What's for dinner tonight hon?"

I guess he likes to think about it a while before he gets home. Either that or the fact that he grew up at his grandparent's dinner table spoiled him. Now THEY can cook! I know he wishes I could cook Italian like his grandma, German like his grandfather. Hey, I can't help it that my heritage is so mixed that those cooking genes don't shine in me!

DINNER.

I love to cook for my family, I just wish it wasn't such a pain to come up with something tasty to all, affordable and not out of control time consuming to create. I hate recipes that call for one elusive little ingredient that you can never find.


I am pretty lucky. Most of my kids will eat what I put before them. There are complaints occasionally, but it's not too bad. I know Alex can't stomach peas, so I don't really cook those -- why set yourself up for a dinnertime meltdown? I know Brooke doesn't like sauce on her pasta -- so I leave hers bare. Megan on the other hand, will clean her plate -- it is a rare evening when she complains or won't eat her dinner, no matter what it is. Kara hates my cooking, but she suffered through it til she moved away for college. I don't cook for her too much anymore, and I am sure she is glad of that. At least she likes my meatloaf.


So anyway, I found this easy, inexpensive, yummy (Italian) meal that everyone in the family seems to really like.  I love easy, good meals.  I did a few things differently than the original recipe, which of course involved a homemade sauce and homemade meatballs.  It was just as good with a few shortcuts to save some time, and there was enough for plenty of leftovers.


RIGATE MEATBALL BAKE

1 1 lb Box of Penne Rigate
1 26.5 oz can Hunts Traditional Spaghetti Sauce
1 12 oz package of Turkey Meatballs (Shady Brook Farms Italian Style)
8 oz low fat shredded mozzerella
3 TBL parmesan cheese

Preheat over to 350 degrees.  Cook rigate according to directions.  Cut meatballs in half,  add to sauce.  Heat sauce and meatballs for about 10 minutes.  Drain noodles when cooked.  Combine noodles with sauce and meatballs and place in casserole dish.  Spread cheese over pasta.  Bake about 20 minutes.  Serve with salad and rolls.

The end!

No comments:

Post a Comment