Tuesday, March 16, 2010

balance

When I started this blog last year, I was thinking that it would be like a journal -- except unless I make it private, it really can't BE a journal.  There are too many things that I would love to write out that just aren't for sharing...  and what's the point of a private blog anyway? Might as well just keep a journal in word, if you plan on writing solely for yourself.

So I'm finding it hard to find that balance -- open honesty, feelings, thoughts... what ifs.  What if I told a story about someone, my perception of events and theirs could differ dramatically.  Does it make my story less true?  What if I put something out there and others find it, find me, wrong or bad somehow.

I remember a time in high school, specifically, a new year - entering a new grade, feeling that the possibilities are endless for starting fresh and wiping slates clean - reinventing.  I remember walking down that depressing and dark back hall, surrounded by cold, mint green painted concrete, bouncing between noisy hapless teen-agers and thinking, "I don't care what people think of me."  I always felt sort of alone and misunderstood among the throngs of people I surrounded myself with.  I felt dumb.  I wanted to be a girl full of confidence, full of intellect, talented, coordinated, artistic.   

But that day, I decided.  I decided that I wasn't going to care what people thought of me.  Or, I at least wasn't going to let people's interpretation of me affect what I wanted to do, who I wanted to be.  If I could approach life and be respectful and considerate of others, then it was OK to be me, the way I was.

I definitely stumbled along the way.  There is much that I've been ashamed of, many that are deserving of my apologies.  I definitely succumbed to nagging thoughts of being worthless, bad, of doing things wrong and hurting others. 

This is my path though.  I'm not exactly sure where I am going, but I know I will get there eventually.


2 comments:

  1. Yay, this is one of my favorite kind of posts! Searching for that right balance in our lives, and trying to figure out who we really are. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erin!! :):) Love your blog...

    ReplyDelete