Thursday, March 25, 2010

off the grid

I may have to delete my previously written hysteria-filled rant about my DVR if I want to be taken at all seriously with this post I am about to write.  One might draw the conclusion, based solely on that post, that I am a little too reliant on the technological things that I have accumulated and grown accustomed to in my life...  

I can see why one might think that.  But lets just pretend I never wrote that for now.

Imagine this...

-selling all of our worldly possessions, keeping ONLY what we need.
-buying a piece of property in the woods or mountains, somewhere remote - with a fresh water source nearby.
-building a small house, only what we need, utilizing wind and solar energy - going OFF THE GRID as much as possible
-planting gardens and growing and canning fruits and veggies
-getting some chickens and a cow or goat (for milk, eggs)
-fishing, hunting -- what we need to eat
-using the internet as some type of a job/way to make money -- on your own terms

OK, I know you all think I am a crazy freak.  But I really think about how amazing it would be to be able to be off the grid -- not owe anybody anything, be in charge of exactly what you put into your mouth and really just live within your means, building and creating your own necessities -- kinda like Laura Ingalls.



I always wanted to be Laura Ingalls.




Alright, let me have it.  If any of my sisters read this, I can't wait to hear about how I could never survive, how I would hate it, blahblahblah.

I think I COULD survive.  Hmph.

3 comments:

  1. Whatever!!!! I thought you were getting an island

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha - somehow I KNEW I would get a comment on this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you always did love "little house on the prarie"......sounds like a nice, peaceful life( alex would have to throw away his blackberry and his ties....the question is, could HE survive?)

    ReplyDelete