Tuesday, March 30, 2010

fine arts filled weekend part 2

Kara was in a production this weekend at school, so Mom and I drove out there together on Saturday afternoon to see her.  I got to drive Mom's car, which is fabulous.  We yapped the whole way up and back, it was so nice.  I was expecting to be riding alone, so I was glad Mom called me and came along.  I feel like I haven't had time with just the two of us with no distractions in years.  She made us ham salad and liverwurst sandwiches for the ride, they were skinny and good!  :) 

This show was different than the other shows Kara has been in - it was a compilation of contemporary one-act plays by David Ives called All in the Timing.  I wasn't sure if I was going to love it from the way she was describing it to me, but I can't miss seeing Kara in her element, so of course I went.

It was GREAT.  It was really, really funny -  I was laughing throughout most of the show, and it was obvious the audience loved it.  Kara was in Variations on the Death of Trotsky, Variations 1-8, and also Universal Language. 

Each play she was in was pretty much just her and another person, and the stage was different -- right on the level as the audience, so it was like they were right there in front of you.  In the Death of Trotsky, she played Trotsky's wife and spoke in a Russian accent.  It was so funny.   Then in Universal Language, she had SO MANY lines to memorize and half of the lines were in a sort of gibberish, so it must have been hard, but she totally rocked it.  Both of the guys in the scenes with her were really good too. 

She is a great actor.  Especially comedic roles, and she totally puts her little twist on things and just seems to own the stage.   I think theater in college has just fine-tuned her skills.  Being in all of these different productions, other than just musicals, has really helped her grow and learn.  I'm so proud of her!   I can't believe she is going to be a senior next semester!  That's crazy.

After the show, we walked to one of the dining halls and got a slice of white pizza and chatted for a bit.  We couldn't stay too long, Kara had to be back on stage for the last production, and we had to get going.

I got home and Alex had the girls ready to go and we snuck out to get some sushi for dinner.

What a perfect day. 

1 comment:

  1. It was a great day! I too loved our time driving and yapping; don't know what we talked about, but it sure made me happy! Seeing Kara on stage, doing such an amazing job was the icing on the cake. I too love her in comedic roles; she shines!! (You know Jet, this is the kind of day that makes all the hard teenage years worth being a mom....a great afternoon with a great daughter and a special granddaughter. This story isn't about me, but I've gotta say, I sure am blessed..and to think, I'm lucky enough to have 3 more special daughters, and 11 more amazing grandkids!) GOD is good....

    ReplyDelete