Tuesday, February 28, 2012

that's how we roll

Our kids tend to lurk around and try to catch us (me, my sisters and BILs) in some good juicy conversation. It's rather annoying actually. Like in a million years I can't imagine wanting to hang out while my Mom was chit chatting with Aunt Sue. Besides the fact that I was scared to death of Aunt Sue, it was boring. And they were old people.  Also, we were smart enough to know that if we kept ourselves on the DL and didn't annoy my mom, we'd get to stay where ever it was that we were longer.

Let's be real here, I know we are way cool parents. I probably should feel flattered that they are so interested in being around us.  And I can't even honestly say that it totally bugs me.  Because I like my kids, and I like my sister's kids.  They are all decent, nice, funny kids and I do love being around them.

Just not when we want to chat as adults without censoring.

So like a lot of times we have to use code names when we are gossiping talking about people behind their backs, so the kids don't know who we are talking about. And if we say bad words, we start them with a Y. Like, stop being such a yick. Or, she's always acted like a yass.  Or, did you hear that Yonna and Yeff are splitting up?



It's ingenious really.

I'm pretty positive that they aren't on to us.



Anyway, my sister Jen had the greatest idea.  She thinks that the next time one of the kids has a few friends over, we should kind of follow them around,  sit in on their conversations, throw out a comment here and there, gasp occasionally and generally just lurk.  I think it might shock them into switching up their lurkage.  I can only imagine how mortified my niece Abby would be if her mom did that.


It would never have worked with Kara.  She always wanted me to hang around near her and her friends I think.  She's such a weirdo.

2 comments:

  1. And it probably wont' work with your other kids either. It never did for any of the lovelies. They loved us being around and so did their friends. Guess my kids and their friends were weird too. Or still are because they still like us lurking around whenever they're home. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete