Thursday, February 16, 2012

pop culturistic annoyances

I enjoy pop culture as much as the next guy, but I have to say, I get irritated at some of the annoying words and phrases.  To me, it kind of feels like the person speaking is trying a little too hard to be "cool," or with it, and I can't help but be turned off by that.  It's actually one of my pet peeves.  Actually, the term "pet peeve" is one of my pet peeves.


So, if you're not exactly sure what pop culture is, I'll explain, because I am all giving like that.   Pop culture is considered to be a fad or trend that has caught on quickly and becomes the next novel thing to say or consume.  It's shortened from "popular culture," and can also be referring to activities or commercial products reflecting, suited to, or aimed at the current tastes of the general population.



]I'm sharing several pop culture terms that I think are pretty played out.  Come on guys, you have to admit that it's time to retire them already.


Hella - You could always just say, really.  Like, instead of saying "This is hella cool!" and sounding like a dumbass,  just say it's really cool.  I promise you'll sound less stupid.


Redonkulous - As in ridiculous with a donk in it.  I can't imagine where this came from.  I admit it makes me chuckle.


What up? - As opposed to "What's up?"  Because you just can't get it right?


Natch - You're dumb.


Deck - Ah, but the hipster slang... they're too hip to just say cool.


JK - What you really mean is "just kidding," but you're way too busy to type or say the actual words?


Bromance - The "romance," or super tight friendship between bros.  Or, guys that may or may not actually be brothers.  Pretty sure this word isn't going anywhere anytime soon.


I know, right? - Just need that confirmation, eh?


Frenemy - I like combining words.  This one means, I'm pretending you're my friend but I really hate you.  This is actually a decent word, but it's definitely gotten played out.


El oh el - I'm pretty sure you just “texted” out loud without the use of an actual cell.


Baby bump - A lump of baby.  In your belly.  Really?  I hope that whoever came up with this term copyrighted it, because my Cod, it's everywhere.  And it has privately annoyed me for years.


Hilar - What is it with not being able to coherently complete a word? 


FAIL - Well, this just looks like you're yelling.


WINNING! - Again with the shouting, Charlie Sheen.  Enough already.

3 comments:

  1. Right?! This post was totes hella hilar! el oh el

    The fun never stops at jessee's spot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what does deck mean? that's the one that went over my head. i don't think i use those. but i'm not totes sure. sometimes i'm hella redonkulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we should start using latin phrases in text:

    #QPQ "Lakehouse" - Of Monsters and Men

    (hash tag quid pro quo)

    ReplyDelete