Thursday, February 2, 2012

KB, the duplex, and sushi in the city


So Sunday night Kara was in this show - her first performance in NYC actually.  She performed at The Duplex Cabaret Theater in Greenwich Village.  Every Sunday night they have this "Bound for Broadway" showcase thing where they feature new and diverse singing talent on the audition circuit.


She auditioned for it in early December I think.  Pretty cool that she got on stage for a few solo tunes, especially exciting that it was her first audition for anything down there and she made it through with no problem whatsoever.  It seemed kind of like an open mic kind of thing, except you had to audition to be able to perform.  She chose one kind of silly theatrical tune that I'd never heard and thought was so funny, and one more dramatic tune from the musical Aida, which I've always loved.  So anyway, she rocked it.  She got a ton of positive feedback - the audience seemed to be feeling her and it was great to see her on stage again, it's been a while, and I've missed it.   I was really proud of her.



I am a fan of a piano bar, of live bar music in general actually.  The pianist was great, and the host was really funny.  And man, my drinks were rather strong.  I think I left there on the tipsy side.



It may also have been the drinks that I had in this Sushi place we went to before the show.  We met up with Kara and her theater buddy Ray from college for some dinner.  I have to say it was by far the best sushi I've ever had.  The place was called SushiSamba.  Fantastic.  You have to hit it if you're ever near one of their locations.



The vibe was pretty cool, sort of loungey and relaxed.  We were seated next to this table of ladies who had been there for a while.  They were many drinks in and having a grand old time.  Of course we ended up chatting most of the night.  They photographed our food.  I think it's because we had ordered this special with tiny little straight up crabs on top.  With their legs and faces and everything.  I did not eat that.  But the presentation was pretty cool.  One of the ladies we met bought us a drink, which was kind of funny.  And also kind of amazing.  Some pear vodka thing that knocked my socks off.  In a good way.


  
One of the ladies was a serious name dropper.  She talked herself up left and right.  She threw out that she was an actress in LA, an entrepreneur with products at some high end hotels, a dancer AND a professional football cheerleader.  Apparently she had it going on.  She gave us her card.  I swear she kind of reminded me of that hilarious recurring character Kristin Wiig does for SNL that always one-ups someone, Penelope, but not quite, because she wasn't really one- upping anyone.  She was nice though, and actually offered to help Kara out if she ever made her way out to CA.  It often seems like west coast people are extraordinarily friendly, doesn't it?  


go ahead click on it

Anyway, it was a really great night - great to see Kar, great to see her do her thing.  We got home at like 1:30 in the morning and wouldn't you know, I couldn't fall asleep for the longest time.

1 comment:

  1. Hoe awesome for Kara! She must have been thrilled at her chance!

    Love me some good sushi!

    ReplyDelete