Thursday, December 8, 2011

wannabe

So I was driving home from the mall the other day, and I was thinking about certain fashion trends that I just don't grasp.  Like, the seemingly mis-matched weird things that girls put together that somehow end up looking all hipster and cool.  


Like wearing a funky patterned skirt with textured tights and weird shoes and like a belted cardigan with a vintage pin or something.  And then they do weird things with their hair that oddly enough looks great and man.  I just can't pull off stuff like that.  First of all, I just don't have the vision.  I really don't.  I want to have the vision.  The reality is though, that I could never walk into some vintage store and come up with an outfit like that.  I wouldn't have the faintest idea where to even start.  And I am almost 98.7% positive that none of that stuff would work on me.  Make that 99.7%.


I also think it might be a pre-requisite that you have to be skinny to rock that look.  Skinny and sort of flat-ish in the chest area.  And unfortunately, I am not skinny or flatfish in the chest area.  You may also need to be a vegan or only eat organic or like, definitely someone who eats healthy.  I don't know, that's just my thought process.  I don't claim to know everything.  Just say no to the ho-ho's cool hipster girls!


So yeah, there is this one girl in our town who dresses like that, and believe me when I say one girl.  I live in NY, so yeah, we're on top of trends typically.  In the city.  Not where I live, upstate in this little one light country town.  We're like the last to get the news that tight rolls are so eighties.  Anyway, this girl.  She can pull those outfits together.  And she does.  Every so often,  I see her walking to work and she has this funky little hipster thing going on and I feel a little jealous.  I'm a wannabe.  Most people in town always kind of thought she was an oddball because she didn't dress like everyone else.  I always kind of thought she looked cool.


She could have hairy armpits though.  You never know.  In my mind I kind of imagine hairy girl armpits on funky girl hipsters.  And yeah, I'm not jumping on that train any time soon.  I prefer my nice non-hairy armpits, thank you. 


My look is kind of boring old, plain old average Mom I guess.  I wear jeans.  I wear solid colored sweaters in the winter, and shorter sleeved solid colored shirts in the summer.  Sometimes, I get a little crazy and wear a v-neck!  I wear normal shoes.  I wear yoga pants and sweatshirts.  I wear my hair down, or in a pony when I am working out. I cannot braid my own hair well, or I would sneak a mini braid in there every so often.  I think I look dumb in hair doodles.  Hm.  I just said hair doodles on my blog.  So.  Apparently that is what my kids and I call clips and barrettes and ribbons and all of those other hair things that certain people can wear effortlessly.  Not exactly sure where that came from but there you go.   Hair doodles.  Feel free to use that strange word combo. 


Anyway, I do have trouble when it seems like people try too hard to be original though.  I can't stand that.  Like, I think it would be so obviously wrong if I tried to go out dressed that that. I'd just look fake, vs looking artistic.  I really think it is so apparent when someone has to try to be cool, relevant - and I just inwardly shake my head.  But like I said before, certain people just have it - that imagination, that creativity - that originality. The artistic ability that I envy.  It annoys me when others judge that in someone, actually.  


I hate judgey.  

2 comments:

  1. This may be a case where I'm glad I'm a guy and not prone to worry about such things? (And an old guy to boot.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wearing funky tights with ballet flats and a gray dress, but I can only go so far, before I look ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete