Monday, August 15, 2011

Apparently, my smile was all wrong

My sister Ali was on my last nerve when we were on vacation. 


She was trying to insist on something being wrong, trying to pinpoint a problem that I was having.  Apparently, when she asked me a question, my smile was all wrong.  That's what tipped her off.  My smile.



Also, the fact that I prefer to walk (exercise) alone coupled with the use of my iPhone, my apparent "lack of interest" in BINGO calling and my appreciation of some alone time was cause for concern.

So, she proceeded to discuss me with everyone else in my family, to figure out why I smiled the way I did.

Ali knows me pretty well, I have to admit.  We've always been close.  Let me just tell you, she was distressed, no kidding.  Like she definitely thought something was up and it was getting her all crazy.

In the secret beach alcohol induced conversations about my apparent "issue," the crew came up with several possible scenarios:  Alex and I were getting a divorce, Alex and I were moving, Alex and I were having a baby, Alex was cheating on me,  I was getting a job, and finally, I was leaving Alex. 

She convinced my other sisters and their spouses to investigate me, and they followed me around, sneakily, trying to take pictures and gather evidence.  Shockingly, after two weeks, the evidence of my weird smile turned up nothing.

In Ali's defense, I was a little off.  But mostly, it was because it seemed like every other day, something went wrong.  I got a nail in the foot, was back and forth to the pharmacy twenty times, had to go to Urgent Care for a tetanus shot, was on the phone with various doctors for two weeks, had an unrelated infection, was on an antibiotic and started a cold.  The foot injury kept me from the beach for a few days, and from walking (exercising) for the rest of the vacation.

For all of those things that happened to me, other things happened too.  Alex was sick from day two til we got home.  He had a terrible sinus infection that turned into something like a chest cold and made his asthma really bad.  Megan got run over by her uncle John on a boogie board and broke one permanent tooth, cracked one and chipped two others.  That threw me in a tizzy because omg her teeth!  But it's all good.

Who can blame me for being a little off?  Sheesh, I don't know how many people would have a smile at all with so many irritating little issues popping up the whole vaca.  Thankfully, I am a glass half full kinda gal, so the negatives were drowned out by all the positives and I still consider the vacation to have been another great one.

I guess I better get a handle on my smile by the time the next vacation rolls around.

3 comments:

  1. Seriously, nobody picked up on how all those things that happened would have affected you? Sounds like some of my family members- just jump right to the wrong, over-exaggerated conclusion. But, for fun, sometimes I will act all funny just to set them off. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I would have snapped if my family was investigating me like that! But then ... I wouldn't spend my vacation with my whole extended family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, don't let it get you down, stuff happens....

    ReplyDelete