Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Harriet the Spy lunch

When I was a kid, I was a huge reader.  Well, not a huge reader, but an average sized kid who loved to read. A lot.  I always had my nose in some form of reading material, whether it be books, magazines, encyclopedias or comic books...

One of my favorite books was Harriet the Spy, by Louise Fitzhugh.

(This is exactly what my book looked like.  Except mine was way tattered from multiple readings.)

I wish I still had that old book.  I know that there are plenty of other HTS books on the shelves, but they look different of course, and it's just not the same.  I would give mine to Megan if I had it, because she reminds me so much of myself with her little book-lover ways.  Maybe I will order it on eBay for myself her.

Anyway, the sole purpose of this post was to tell you that I had a big fat Tomato and Mayo sandwich for lunch.  (And yet here I am, several paragraphs into this post already.  Go figure.)  It was a Harriet the Spy sandwich (if you are not aware, Harriet would only eat tomato and mayo sandwiches for lunch). Which I could eat eight of in a row if I didn't have such fabulous self control.  That sandwich is ridiculously great, and simple, and incidentally tastes a million times better with tomatoes picked from your own garden.  Which is why I only eat Harriet the Spy sandwiches in the summer. Let's just say that I need to use my own personal tomatoes because I have an irrational fear of accidentally biting into a rotten tomato.

Anyway.  There you have it.  My oh-so-exciting post of the day.

(ps -- If you like tomatoes, I challenge you to try one of these for lunch today and tell me what you think.  Make sure you cut the tomatoes into big fat slices!  And by all means use an excess of mayo.  Seriously.)


2 comments:

  1. Jessee! I love Harriet the Spy sandwiches too!
    I really enjoy your blog, your posts are always so sweet, positive and creative!
    keep it up! miss ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kari!! I had another HtS Sandwich today in fact. :) I appreciate your nice comments! So glad you enjoy the goofiness that is my blog. Miss you too -- glad that things are moving forward with all of your exciting plans for the future! Can't wait to hear what comes next. :)

    ReplyDelete