Thursday, July 8, 2010

bock bock. what the H?

So I went into the grocery store the other day, quite lazily unprepared for dinner.  I was thinking maybe BBQ chicken on the grill, maybe a little corn on the cob. 


I was perusing the chicken section of the meat case, and I was excited to see that our local grocery had finally stepped into the 2000's (Gosh, that sounds dumb) and started carrying organic, free range chicken. 

I've been wanting to go free range for like, ever, so I grabbed a package that looked like it had enough meat to feed the fam, and I almost tripped when I saw the sticker price for a snitch over one and a half pounds of meat.  TWENTY-SEVEN DOLLARS.  Yup, I said it.  Now my question is, who pays 27 bucks for four little pieces of uncooked chicken?  By all means if the Grand Union wants to marinate it, pop it on the grill then serve it to me and my family on a silver platter -- maybe I could justify the money.

I want to go organic, I want to go free-range - I really do!  But who can afford that on a daily basis??  That is seriously pretty much 4 times the amount that I typically pay for regular chicken.  No wonder our store doesn't carry it, I would venture a guess that the meat probably goes bad before anyone in our town would buck up for that.

Oh well, guess I will have to wait til we win the lottery.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously????? For that price, I think I could raise a few organic chickens in my back yard. Yikes ... I know what you're going through ... we all want to eat healthier and eat organic but at that price, who can afford to?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGoodness! That is ridiculous! I would definitely want it served to me on a silver platter at that price. :0) Wow.

    It is sad that it now costs a small fortune just to try and feed our family a healthy meal. Even just trying to buy fresh fruits and veggies has gotten to be nearly unaffordable. It is sad.

    Teresa <><

    ♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥

    ReplyDelete