Friday, December 11, 2015

Fakebook. er, I mean Facebook

Occasionally I feel the need to rant a snitch about Fakebook, I mean, Facebook.

I read this article that said that 85 percent of users felt that their Facebook "friends" used the site to brag or overshare, and specifically found it irritating when people complained all the time, shared unsolicited political opinions and boasted about "seemingly perfect lives."


Most of us aren't typically going to pop on Facebook to share shitty things.  Well, except for the people that do, I guess.  Come to think of it, plenty of people do share shitty things.  I kind of find that to be just about as irritating as people sharing fake-y bullshit statuses and photos that make it look like their lives are perfect pictures of constant happiness.

You'll definitely have those friends that will TMI you to death about negative things.  Ugh.  Those people are so annoying.  Can't we all just be normal-ish?  Honestly, I don't mind honesty.  Like, if you're having a bad day and want to throw it out there, I personally do not find that too offensive.  To a degree.  Like, some things are just meant to be a little more private.  The occasional sharing of misfortune is alright for the most part, but if it gets to be persistent, it's just a huge downer.  

The passive/aggressive woe is me stuff really gets under my skin.  Like when someone puts their status as something like:  "When will this ever end?? I'm so over this!" or, "I just don't know what to think anymore..."

That kind of thing bugs me, but it also makes me feel sorry that the poster needs to use Facebook as a forum to seek the attention that they are obviously lacking.  They seem to need some validation or commiseration, which is fine.  Just, why do you need validation and commiseration publicly?  With about 427 of your closest friends?  It surprises me that so many people still don't grasp that nobody really appreciates that.

The only reason someone would like that is for the amusement of it all.  Like, they think it's funny to watch someone lose it.  People actually have fights on Facebook.  Verbal altercations, by grown-ups. We may as well quick go grab a tub of buttered popcorn and a soda because shit is going down.  Better than a movie, right?  How embarrassing!

If you happen to be a Facebook friend of mine, I sort of apologize for my dull and boring online existence.  I promise that you will never see attention seeking posts on my page.  I have no attention seeking bones in my body.

I think I should make a FAKEBOOK, and the tagline would be, "where we mostly have our shit together!"  And we could all post just the perfect, pretty stuff. Would you join?



No comments:

Post a Comment