Thursday, November 7, 2013

TRAVEL San Francisco: Yummy Good Eats, part uno: Breakfast

One thing that I never realized, is that San Francisco is as famous for its restaurants and food trends as it is for the Golden Gate Bridge and cable cars.  With upwards of 3500 places to eat, more than any other major city in the US, travelers routinely cite restaurants as a factor in their decision to visit.  Who knew??  Yep, the eclectic restaurants of San Francisco are a main attraction, drawing people from all over the world, and I made a point to try some restaurants that had great reviews on sites like Yelp and Trip Advisor.


Dottie's True Blue Cafe

For breakfast, you have to try Dottie's True Blue Cafe.  It's located on 28 6th Street in San Francisco, a bit of a sketchy neighborhood in general, but not too bad.  The thing about Dottie's is that it is so well known, there is almost always a line out the door, which some people just can't handle.  A few people wandered by, attempted the line, then left before being seated.  My thought process is that a great breakfast is worth the wait, so I was prepared.  I am a definitely a breakfast lover and Dottie's did not disappoint.  The atmosphere was authentic and vintage-y.  Nice and dim, which was good for an early morning visit.  The service was good, and the servers were super pleasant and attentive.  But the corn bread, oh the corn bread... (with jalepeño jam) was worth the wait alone.  The coffee is pretty good and piping hot, and the server was quick to top it off a few times.  I had the Smoked Whiskey-Fennel Sausage, Mushroom and Spinach Scramble - it was as amazing as it sounds, the portion was excellent and the price was fair at under $12.  The people at the table next to me got an order of pancakes which looked so fluffy and amazing, I was jonesing for a bite.  Based on the oohs and ahhs, I'm pretty sure they loved it.  The menu was pretty extensive and they also serve lunch.  If I had time, I would have definitely visited for one of their yummy sounding salads or sandwiches.  No doubt I'll go back.


Bob's Donut and Pasty Shop, through the window
I also had a stop at Bob's Donut and Pastry Shop, located on 1621 Polk Street in San Francisco.  There were tons of great choices, but I am partial to glazed donuts, and theirs were amazingly ethereal.  The place is open 24 hours a day, so everything is super fresh, and you get the feeling you are in an old-fashioned (pre-Dunkin' Donuts chain store) donut shop, with lots of regulars sitting about bantering.  I heard a lot of people talking about how great the Maple Butter Bar was, and they also made these massive donuts that were the size of your average bundt cake!  The coffee was so/so, but the donuts were well worth the walk and less than a dollar each!  I will absolutely visit this place again.


Boogaloos, Huevos Ranchero

Probably my favorite breakfast experience in SF was in the Mission District at Boogaloos,3296 22nd St, San Francisco.  I was definitely into the hipster diner atmosphere, ‎and it was a plus that they were playing some good tunes.  The servers were really friendly, and didn't seem to rush you at all, they were attentive but not to the point of being annoying.  I got the Huevos Ranchero, and it was the bomb, seriously authentic.  Really, really tasty, and a super portion.  If nobody was around, I may have licked my plate.  Coffee was good and refills kept coming.  The prices were definitely fair for the amount of food you are served, and the menu had a bunch of great sounding options, they also had plenty of vegetarian, vegan and gluten free choices, if that's your thing.  I'm looking forward to another visit to Booglaoos!

Next up... look out for a post on a few cool lunch spots in the Bay A!

No comments:

Post a Comment