Monday, July 2, 2012

fail


Want to hear something that makes me feel like a huge failure at being a stay-at-home-mom, wife, and mother in general?  This is a hard confession for me because I don't usually like to admit to being less than perfect at my job.  

I hate cooking dinner.

There, I said it.  And I know hate is a very strong word.  

But let me clarify.  I like cooking in general.  At my leisure.  In a leisure suit maybe even.  I like baking and making meals, I just don't like the pressure of having to plan and cook a spectacular dinner every damn night.  I think this makes me get a D- in SAHM-ness.   Yeah, if I got a quarterly report card, in DINNER, I would definitely be lucky to get a D.



Well, when my husband was in law school, it was great.  He went to school at night after work, so it was kind of great in the respect that I didn't have to cook.  Like, I could easily throw something together for the kids on a paper plate (wooHOO quick and easy cleanup!) and be perfectly content with a bowl of cereal for myself.  I like cereal.  And I really appreciate paper plates.

Then after law school, certain times of the year, work would be way busier for my husband.  Like, busy where he'd be in the office sometimes til 11 or 12 at night.  I got used to those schedules and loved that I still didn't have to come up with food too often to satiate a guy's appetite.  Plus, I'm pretty sure that nothing that I'd make could compare with the sausage and peppers or pulled pork that his grandparents throw together with ease.

So lately, his job is a snitch less demanding night-wise, (JUST A SNITCH) and he gets home most nights by 9 or 10.  So I get the call.  Every day.  "What's for dinner?"

"What's for dinner?"

That is my least favorite question ever.

Hm.  How about sushi from that great sushi spot?  Or a sub from Subway?  Or pizza?  Yeah, every guy loves pizza, right??   I am such a fan of takeout.  Isn't it great to have someone else cook for you?  Then the worst thing is deciding where to order from.

But sheesh.  Takeout is like, so unhealthy.  And expensive.  And it makes me feel guilty that I didn't provide something for my family myself.  I am home all day.  And now that every kid is in school - there is absolutely no good excuse for me not to have a dinner put together every night for my family.

I sometimes feel like the only stay-at-home-mom who hates the whole plan/implement dinner thing. It sure seems like nobody else says it out loud!  You know, I'd be willing to bet that it's a dirty little secret in the SAHM community.  

Maybe I should make a support group.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about cooking every night. I so wish we could afford to go out more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah love, I seriously depend on my crockpot like mad. You can make a BAZILLION things in ye old pot and today's recipes are really easy. I quite litterally just finished browning some chicken, threw it in with a can of broth, a can of diced tomatoes, a can of chickpeas, some chopped onions and some curry. In six hours I will add a little cream and have delish curry, make some rice, add peas--voila! (and the killer cool satisfaction you have the entire day that dinner is already done, rocks!)

    The other thing I do is plan the week out. On Monday morning, I put on a huge pot of simmering salted water and add POUNDS of chicken to it. (my fave is boneless, skinless thighs) let it simmer on low for an hour or two while you do something else. Then, let them cool, shred and you can toss it down with tortillas and toppings Monday for soft tacos, make pasta with butter and parm and chicken on Tuesday, mix a batch with bbq for sandwhiches on Wednesday, etc...

    Just get away from the way we were raised when dinner was an "ordeal." Oh, and I use paper plates every day. Swear. xo

    ReplyDelete