Monday, October 31, 2011

halloweekend

Happy Halloweekend!


I kind of can't stand when Halloween falls on a weeknight.  You know, it just seems less fun when you have a curfew and have to cram all of that trick or treating and candy eating in before bedtime.  Trick or treating and candy eating.  That totally rhymed!  I feel a little amazed at my talent right about now.


Anyway, I meant, not me.  My kids.  My kids have to cram all of that hyper fun and sick belly stuff in before a normal school night bedtime.


Brooke really wanted to be a mummy but Cod damn, that was shockingly a hard costume to find.  In fact, so hard to find that I didn't find it.  I could have gone ahead and made the costume because as far as costumes go, it seems kind of straightforward, but I have lots of trauma related to home-made costumes.


Actually, I am projecting.  That trauma belongs to my poor Kara, who suffered at the hands of me, making her these horrible Halloween costumes for years.  Or I should say attempting to make Halloween costumes that usually ended up with her just going as a hobo because I couldn't pull off what I was attempting.  They were all awful, poor kid.  It's a wonder she doesn't hate me.  I tried!!  Sheesh.  Not everyone is Martha fucking Stewart guys.


Anyway, the mummy didn't happen.  We ended up dragging the costume bucket down from the attic and put together a pretty awesome purple witch.  Brooke loves being a witch, so it should be good.


Megan went up to the mall with her friend last week with 25 bucks in her pocket and she came home with a flapper costume.  Complete with a wig and a bald cap.  She is so, so happy.  When she tried on her costume for me, she was smiling so hard her adorable dimples came out madly.  I love when something simple makes my kids so happy.


Alex of course will just run around with his friends, a gross scary mask carrying a pillowcase.  Hopefully not being too naughty.  He'll come back with a disgusting amount of candy, and he will eat like a horse for days.


Speaking of eating like a horse, my son just had his yearly physical, and the pediatrician told me he gained 24 and a half pounds and over four inches in a year.  Twenty four and a half pounds!  He's turning into such a guy, getting tall and lanky, getting muscles and beefing up.  For years he was so sad that he was shorter and smaller than everybody in his class.  He used to google "how to grow taller," and it would make me want to cry.  I would find these little notes that he wrote to himself all over the place on how to grow.  Totally broke my heart.


So once he started growing and gaining weight, he would call me into the bathroom to witness his weight on the scale.  For the longest time, he was dying to break a hundred pounds.  Now he's almost 125!  We stood  back to back the other day and he really is as tall as I am I think, and I'm 5'7.  Boy.  He's not little anymore.  


OK, enough of the chatter about my huge boy.  I kind of went off topic there.  Go figure.


So, we were invited to a Halloween party this weekend, but we had other freaking things to do that made me so not happy at all.  I will not go into those sucky things at the moment because it may make me sound like a jerk.  And I really need to keep up the illusion here that I'm not a jerk.


Tonight, trick or treating is supposed to be kind of chilly.  The kids will have to wear coats over their costumes.  Ah well, it won't make it any less fun and exciting.  Brooke has been crossing off the days since the beginning of October, so I am pretty sure a little cold air isn't going to stop her from ringing bells.


I am not a fan of cold air with slow walking.  I don't mind cool weather walking if I am moving at a decent enough pace to warm myself up, but door to door walking is pretty slow and man, I might need to seriously bundle up tonight.  


Maybe I could go out dressed as a snowman!

1 comment:

  1. I remember thinking the same thing when the lovelies were coming along and Halloween fell on a week night. Poor kids having to go to bed and leave the candy around. :)

    Luckily my mother is at least as good as Martha F. Stewart (I always wondered what her middle name was, thanks!)so she made their costumes! YAY!

    Anyway, can't wait to see your pictures!

    ReplyDelete