Friday, October 21, 2011

Tattoo Barbie hysteria. Really? And a comparison chart!

So, how do you guys feel about the new tattooed Barbie that has a bunch of moms all in a tizzy and feeling hysterical?

I don't feel hysterical.  And I am not in a tizzy.

To be perfectly honest with you, I don't really care. 

Let's be real, Barbie looks like a sleaze (Well huh, I thought that was spelled "sleeze," but spellcheck disagrees) either way.  Tattoo Barbie is really no different than regular Barbie.  In fact, Tattoo Barbie seems way more clean-cut than many of the Barbies out there.  Regular Barbie often seems to be dressed in high end streetwalker clothes.  And of course she has those awful proportions that are crazy unrealistic.  But whatever.  She's a doll.  A piece of rubbery plastic.  And guess what? I have all of the control when it comes to bringing Barbies (or other toys, books, videos, TV shows etc) into the house, and I'd like to go out on a limb and suggest that the hysterical mom's do too.

In other words, if Tattoo Barbie offends me,  I just wont buy her.  Simple enough, right?  One would think so. 

Seriously, I think we have tons of other things to freak out about regarding our kids being exposed to "immoral" things.  Even Spongebob is risque!  Have you ever actually watched Shrek or Toy Story?  They slip adult innuendos into the cartoons you plop your child in front of when you're trying to vacuum the living room.  And since when is a tattoo immoral, anyway?  Who decided that?  I don't have one personally, but I don't care one bit if you do.  I cannot imagine how someone could equate body art with immorality.

Is make-up is immoral?  How about earrings?  How about the trampy short skirts and low cut tops that Barbie usually wears?

If forced to choose, which Barbie would you have Grandma wrap up and put under the Christmas tree for your daughter?  Just look at Hooker Barbie's "come hither, I want to tie you up and do weird things to you" look, versus Tattoo Barbie's "Hey!  Let's hang out and get ice-cream" look.

I don't know.  Maybe I am taking it a little too far, but really?  Put Heroin Barbie on the shelf and then I'll be hysterical.


FYI, I believe Tattoo Barbie is being marketed as a collector's item, so I can't imagine she'll be staring your child in the face in the Barbie aisle of Target.  I think hysterical mom's need to relax a snitch.

2 comments:

  1. I sort of want to be Tattoo Barbie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally with you on this one. Big surprise, right? LOL

    I don't care either. And it's probs just the media picking a couple of moms who like to bitch about everything which the media loves so they can stir up something. Again.

    I'm with Kristina. I sort of want to be Tattoo Barbie too! :)

    ReplyDelete