Thursday, June 10, 2010

TV and half-wits

I like my TV, but it isn't something that is like, all important to me.  Well, scratch that.  My shows that I love are really, really important to me, but a lot of times, I think I could handle quitting TV altogether.  Really.  I swear.

So I was never one of those people who's kids sat in front of the TV for hours and hours, just spacing out and stuff.  And I don't let them just have a free-for-all and watch whatever they want.  There are tons of things out there in TV-Land that are just not for little kids to be seeing/hearing.  I don't use my TV as a babysitter, for the most part.  I mean it helps entertain when I am trying to get something done, but I typically make my kids play.  Like really play - with each other or their friends here or in the neighborhood.  Or even (gasp!) play by themselves.



So my sweet, adorable Meggie, who was probably about 3 or 4 at the time, was painting a picture for me at the kitchen table and we were chatting, and she says to me with this big happy wide-toothed smile: "Mom, just shut your half-wit pie-hole."

I was like, "What?!"

And she says, a little softer and quieter, probably because of my shocked-looking face, "Shut your half-wit. Pie. Hole?"  like a s l o w, nervous question.

And I had to turn around, with my back to her, and bite the insides of my cheeks to keep from laughing out loud.  Because even though it was so inappropriate, coming out of my sweet little girlie's mouth, it sounded so bad it was funny.  But of course I didn't want her to think that.

"Meg, you can't say that. That's inappropriate!  Where in the world did you hear such a thing?!"  I said, turning when I had myself under control.  She does have an older brother and sister, but we don't swear in front of our kids, and we don't say stuff like that.  At all.

"But Squidward said it to Spongebob."  She said.  Innocent.  With her sweet little pouty face



Ahhhhhh.... Spongebob.  Nick Jr.  So I got it.  It taught me to watch those shows on Nick Jr. that I was letting my kids watch, thinking it was innocent, like Sesame Street.  But man, some of the things I heard on that channel, a channel that I always thought was designed for little kids,  seem to have adult humor that goes way over my kid's heads. 

At least I'd like to think they go over my kid's heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment