Friday, June 18, 2010

grown up names

I called my cousin one day at work -- a long time ago actually, and I asked for Kathy.  I was told nobody by that name worked there, and I was like...hmmm.  Then I added her last name, and said "Are you sure Kathy Bruno doesn't work there? This is the number she gave me."

"Oh, do you mean Katherine?"

I was like... "I guess?"

Then when Kat (as I affectionately call her) got on the phone, I was like "What the heck was that all about?  Why do they call you Katherine??"  and she told me that was her adult name, and nobody at work even knew her as anything other than Katherine.  I guess it's more professional.  When she started interviewing for real jobs after she graduated, she just went with it.

Then it hit me.  We're grown ups now -- and I can't even remember when I started referring to myself as Jessica, instead of Jessee.  I say this like I am surprised, which is weird, since I am 40 now.  (Wow.  That's OLD!)  Only my old friends and family call me Jessee, any adult friends that I have made call me Jessica.  I never liked that, growing up.  I guess I don't mind it so much now.  I was Jessee since I was a baby.  I only tolerated one special boy calling me Jess - because for some reason it sounded right.

The name thing happened with a couple other people that I know, and I always thought it was funny.  My friend Merry is called Meredith, and my sister Ali goes by Allison. 

I don't care.  I can't go there -- it just doesn't work for me.  As far as I'm concerned, Kat, Merry and Ali will always be just that to me. 

I hope they don't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment