Tuesday, June 8, 2010

an addiction of sorts

So I love Diet Dr. Pepper.



I love it and it really means a lot to me.  I don't drink a 12-pack a day like my unnamed sister (starts with J and ends with enney).  Actually my unnamed sister drinks a 12-pack a day of DIET VANILLA COKE, or the newest, VANILLA COKE ZERO.

You know, the more I think about it, she is way more addicted to her soda than I am.

A side note story that is a little relevant:  A bad thing happened a few years ago, and Coca Cola stopped making DVC (from this point forward, lets all refer to Diet Vanilla Coke as DVC , because I am tired of writing it already.  And it is my blog).  So my sister J, (lets just refer to her as J) was thrown into a panic.  She called one of her best friends who lives in GA (funny, funny college room mate who incidentally, swears like a truck driver at her kids) [side side note, I am not judging, but I don't swear at my kids or near them, really] and the reason she did this is because her friend's husband works for Coca Cola.  She wanted to do her best to get a ridiculous supply of DVC before it was gone forever.  She was really devastated.  She even tried training herself to like another Diet Coke.  Normally she would stock up with at least six or seven 12-packs a week.  So they basically kept DVC on the shelves and just turned the can a different color and named it VANILLA COKE ZERO, probably because J single handledly purchased enough of it to prove that people liked it. They really liked it! I think she also wrote them a scathing letter, but I can't be sure. Probably scathing, along with utter horror.

She only brings a case into the house at a time, and typically just drives around with them in the way back of her Denali.  As if she might ever get stuck without them.  And sometimes, her cans burst because of the heat or the cold.  And the cases shifting from one side of the truck to the other during turns could drive someone to drink (something other than DVC/VCZ preferably).   And she doesn't share them.  Really, like rarely.  It's just a known rule in her house.  And I totally get it. 

So anyway, I just wanted to point out that there is someone out there who loves their soda probably a little more than I love mine.

And I just quit my love, Diet Dr. P. 

I quit because I am consciously cutting out artificial sweeteners, and reducing sugar in general, actually.  I am going on EIGHT DAYS of not drinking one sip even.  AND, I actually have two cans in my fridge taunting me on a daily basis.  I was trying to get all of them finished up for the the big quit day, but I was left with two.  I couldn't just throw them away.  That would have been a crime.  So there they sit.  I keep pushing them deeper into the back of the fridge, to the deep, dark area where there might be an old hardened chicken nugget, or a Tupperware of moldy peaches (maybe, not FOR REAL, my fridge is sparkling and clean, I'm just painting a picture for ya.  sheesh).

So I am recovering.  I am a recovering Diet Dr. Pepper addict.  I had a headache for two days straight, and I think it was really related to not drinking my soda.  But now, I feel like I can stand here and admit it.  And I am doing good, and no longer craving it that much.  And even though water gets a little boring, it actually makes me feel kinda good.

But I still heart it.  I heart it and miss it. A lot.


2 comments:

  1. I adore Dr. Pepper. But soldier on chicky, it's worth it to cut back at the very least. I "treat" myself to one now every once in a while. But to help curb the love, I've started drinking sparkling water. It gives me the fizzy part of soda without any unnatural stuff. Switching from soda to plain water was just too hard. It's been a couple of years now and I've managed to enjoy a soda about once every couple of months only. The sparkling water isn't cheap but it really has helped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! :) I have been drinking seltzer too, for the fizz. I am lucky that I do like water, so I am surprised to say that it actually hasn't been THAT hard.

    ReplyDelete