Thursday, April 15, 2010

on being a parent

I think I am liking this part.

This morning, Alex got himself up and made his own lunch.  Megan came up on her own to shower after breakfast, and Brooke is showering her little self as I write.  I am no longer allowed to wash hair, because she "can do it!"   I sat on my bed and watched the Today Show til 8:15, thinking...

"I'm really liking this..."

Yesterday, after pre-k, Brooke informed me that she would be making her own lunch.  I told her to go for it, we just needed to make sure it included a fruit and veggie.  She dragged a big chair around the kitchen accumulating what she needed, got out some bread, carrots and a banana, bologna and cheese.  She made herself a bologna and cheese sandwich.  Poured herself a glass of milk.  I cut the crusts and she was good to go!  Wow.

When I started the whole parenting journey I remember thinking that my job was to teach these guys how to be independent and responsible, respectful adults.  Every day that is what I hope I am somehow contributing to. 

That's what I tell Alex while he is stamping around unloading the dishwasher, or huffing and puffing while emptying the garbages around the house mumbling that those are the "worst chores ever!"

It's really awesome watching my kids grow and gain independence, learn that they can do it themselves.  It's awesome and a little sad, because I somehow miss feeling needed I guess.  My babies are growing up...

me and my first baby, Kara

Last night I was reminded I was needed by my college girl, who called me from the parking lot of Wal-Mart with a car that wouldn't cooperate.  I spent an hour on the phone between AAA and her dad and her, and it was nice to know that at the end of the day, if there's a problem, it's me who she will still call.

So the four-year-old wants desperately to do it herself, and the eight-year-old is totally liking doing it herself, the twelve-year-old doesn't want to do it himself, and the 20-year-old can do it, but still needs a little reassurance....

I do like this part.

No comments:

Post a Comment