Friday, January 15, 2016

10 tunes angsty 80's girls played the shit out of. oh wait, that was me

I think we all can agree that kids these days have it great with such easy access to music.  Any song or album that they want is literally at their fingertips, right there for the taking.  Just pop it in a playlist and you have it forever. 


It was so hard to get a copy of a tune when I was a kid, back in the olden days.  We would go to such great lengths to record songs from the radio.  Nobody wanted to buck up for the entire cassette (or record. yes I am that old) for just one song, so there was a system.  You would sit in your room with the door closed, hoping none of your obnoxious sisters would barge in and ruin the recording. You'd be tuned in to your favorite radio station, cassette recorder in hand, finger on the record button patiently waiting for the moment your song came on. 

Sometimes, we were lucky enough to get a heads up from the DJ that the song we were trying to get would be coming on next, but more often than not, it was left up to chance.  You could potentially have your finger hovering over the button for the better part of the night, no kidding.

I have more than one mix tape that you can hear a door creaking open in the background, or a frantically angry whisper to "Get out!"  With three sisters, it was really hard to get some alone time in my little house, so inevitably I'd pick up on some kind of commotion.

ANYway, I was an angsty teen in the 80's, so I decided to be so kind as to share some of the tunes that I'd be willing to wait hours to record.  If you click on the song, the YouTube video will play.  Watching those videos is kind of a huge walk down memory lane.  And also, what the hell we they wearing?  What songs did you play 500 times in a row when you were a teenager?

1. Bonnie Tyler, Total Eclipse of the Heart

2. Prince, Purple Rain

3.  Peter Gabriel,  Red Rain

4. Phil Collins,  In the Air Tonight

5. REM, The One I Love

6. Cyndi Lauper, Time After Time

7. The Cure, Just Like Heaven

8. Simple Minds,  Don't You Forget About Me 

9. U2, With or Without You 

10 The Replacements, Within Your Reach

2 comments: