Friday, February 12, 2010

Tween Idol


So Tuesday night was the big Tween Idol event at the middle school. After about 80 kids auditioned, there were 5 kids chosen from each of the middle school grades (5th-7th) to compete against each other for the trophies, and of course the coveted title of TWEEN IDOL. The 5 kids from each grade sang individually on stage with music (kind of like karaoke) in front of the whole auditorium, and it was PACKED.

First of all, I was so impressed with how brave and confident those kids all were. I can't even imagine getting up on stage alone and singing in front of an audience full of peers and adults. I also liked that the kids weren't afraid to go outside of the box and sing songs off of the current pop charts. Besides Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift, there was a girl who sang Nancy Sinatra, and a boy who did Run Around Sue. There were the Beatles and Journey... it was really fun!

So back to the process - after the 5 kids from each grade had their turn singing and being judged by the panel of teacher/judges, they left the stage and the audience voted for the best performer in each grade.

After the winner for each grade was announced, the three winners had to go up individually for another round and sing a different song, competing against each other for the title of Tween Idol.

Alex sang the song "I'll Be There," by the Jackson 5. I thought he did SUCH A GREAT JOB. I was so proud of him - he had tons of applause and cheering. He was the cutest thing ever when he got up there, I could just tell he was really nervous. His vocals were on spot, smooth and impressive. I never really knew he had any singing talent, so I was surprised that he just did so well. Every last kid in the 7th grade was really good though, and he did not advance to the final round. He wasn't too disappointed though, he was just proud to have made it as far as he did, and to have been able to get up there and do his thing. He thought the girl who won his grade deserved it and totally cheered her on when she ended up winning the whole competition.

I am so proud of my boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment