Saturday, January 9, 2010

tween idol and the 80's

So my 12-yr-old son Alex has been trying out for 'Tween Idol. So far he made it past the first two rounds. 'Tween Idol is something put on by our middle school, like an American Idol-type of thing. I guess it's a pretty big deal.

I can't even believe he tried out -- he is so bold - what a little cutie my boy is.



The funny thing is, he loves music from when I was a kid -- (woohoo the 80's are BACK!). The first round, he tried out with a Michael Jackson song, (omg) "The Way You Make Me Feel." I had a poster of Michael Jackson on my wall when I was a teenager. When Alex sang it for me before-hand, he said, "Please don't laugh at me Mom, I am really nervous." It was so cute, and he was actually really good! (I didn't even laugh at him once) The next round, he had to sing two songs, and once again, he went 80's.

(check out the actual "pre-tons of plastic surgery" Michael Jackson in a yellow sweater vest poster I had on my wall)



He then did "Imagine," by John Lennon and then "Don't Stop Believin" by Journey. I swear all of this music he is singing around the house is giving me a constant flashback to my high school dances. I actually think I could live without some of THOSE horrifying memories!! I swear if he belts out Stairway to Heaven I just might pass out on the floor.

80's is just one part of his repertoire though - his ipod is much like my own, filled with everything from (GASP) Barbra Streisand (actually I don't have any Babs, but HE does - LOL) to Metallica to Green Day to the Cure. I love that he loves music, and is open to all kinds. He wants to make chorus "cool," so he and a few of his cool-ish buddies are up front and center on the risers, singing away when they aren't too busy giggling. He's just so confident, it makes me smile. I'll keep you posted on how he does...

No comments:

Post a Comment