Tuesday, May 31, 2011

And then that repairman tried to force me to let him sue me

I recognize that the title is a litle tricky.  It'll make sense though.  Eventually.  So just go with it guys.

Remember a while back, this post where I pondered the possibility of swearing out loud more often?  In that post, I mentioned among other things, a certain dishwasher repairman that was highly irritating.


Well guess what guys?  He was back.  And it was worse than the first time even.  I am not kidding either.


Ugh.

So my dryer has been being annoying.  Like not fully drying clothes, which means I have to dry each load almost two times to get it fully dry.  With a family of six, I do a lot of laundry.  I can't deal with a shitty dryer that doesn't heat up.  So Alex eugoogle-ized our brand of dryer, tried to fix it and wasn't too successful.  He is rather resourceful and can pretty much fix most things, but his being able to fix the dryer just wasn't happening. 

So since the dryer was still sucking at doing its job, we called the place where we got it so we could get a repairman to come out.  Coincidentally, it was the same place that we got the dishwasher that just recently needed to be repaired. 

On a side note, is it me or are does it almost seem like things are made crappier these days?  We bought all new appliances when we built this house like seven years ago.  We didn't go high end, but we didn't get the cheapest stuff out there, everything was middle of the line from a good reputable brand.  So anyway, that's it?  We get 7 years of life out of major appliances now?  I am pretty sure my grandmother had the same avocado green refrigerator for my entire childhood.  Why can't we get fridges like that anymore?  



Anyway, I was sitting near the window when the repairman arrived.  And I noticed it was the same guy immediately as he got out of his truck.  Originally, I felt sort of bad for being aggravated at him.  And I was telling myself maybe he wasn't really that annoying.  But as soon as he began walking up the steps to my front door, I could just feel it.

He just looked like he was miserable and hated his job.  Admittedly it was warm out, but he was dripping sweat before he even got to the porch. My washer and dryer are upstairs, and you would have thought I told him he'd need to go outside and wade through a bog with his toolbox on his head to reach them the way he moaned and groaned.  Seriously not kidding.  With every single stair, he groaned.

I had to go up behind him because hello, free pinches, but he was honestly slower than a five year old on crutches.  So an hour later once we got to the laundry room, I sort of said -- here it is, do your thing, and you know, I pretty much was ready to get back to what I was doing.  Because I was pretty sure it wasn't necessary for me to stand there and watch him fix the dryer.

But then he tried to talk to me about it.  For a long time even.  And honestly guys, I tried to seem interested.  But is anyone really interested in discussing dryer repair?  I think not.

Besides he was sniffling again, and wiping his nose with the back of his hand, again.  And I can only stand there for so long witnessing that kind of thing.  A grown man who doesn't seem to know how to use a tissue.  Touching my things.  My germophobe wheels were spinning madly.

I wasn't the least bit rude, snippy or condescending, I swear.  But I pretty much told him in a very nice way that I didn't really care what was wrong with it as long as he fixed it or told me I needed to get a new one.  I don't need to know why.  So somehow I got out of there and went downstairs and continued doing what I was doing before he got there, and he calls me up about ten minutes later.

Which is right about when he asked me to hold on to him as he climbed out my small bathroom window to stand on my extremely steep and angled roof so he could try to reach a vent that was clearly impossibly out of his reach.

So I was like, really repairman?  You want to climb out on top of my toilet and try to wedge yourself out through my little window?  He would have absolutely fallen off of the roof. Which at that point honestly wasn't looking like the worst thing ever.  Besides the fact that I was pretty damn 100% sure that he wasn't going to be physically able to wedge his not very small body out of the window anyway, I wasn't about to let him get on my roof so he could fall off and sue me. 

I mean, I may have my own personal lawyer, but I'm not stupid.

He acted rather indignant when I said absolutely no on the climbing out the window thing.  Then basically went on to say that if I didn't let him on the roof, then it was my own fault he couldn't diagnose the problem.

So to make a very windy story short, I paid the sniffly, groany, wacky repairman from hell $120 to tell me that my dryer didn't work.

Which I pretty much already knew.  Obviously.

2 comments: