Wednesday, December 11, 2013

wednesday and slacking and norwegia and christmas...

So today is Wednesday.  Again.  Wootwoot Wednesday?  Sheesh.  Maybe it was a mistake trying to get this blog going again right in the thick of the holidays.  Well.  At least I'm here!  At least I'm not crying and whining and being all mopey!  That is a really good sign, right?

Actually, I am a huge slacker.  Like, huge.  My plan of action for today was to get up and leave to go shopping when I got Brooke to school.  Well.  Somehow, that plan did not come to fruition, and somehow, I ended up here, on the couch, like a bum at 11ish am.  Still in my comfy clothes.  It does not look like I am making it to the mall.  Well, I'll be making to to a virtual mall or two, because, obviously, but I really, really need to get my ass to some stores and get a handle on this Christmas shopping crap.  And I haven't wrapped one present.

Not even one.  My piles are all out of whack.  Like none of them are equal at all and that drives me crazy.  I now have an extra pile.  Oh!  Did I tell you that we now have an exchange student?  Well.  We do.  It was an emergency situation sort of thing.  It wasn't planned at all.  It happened rather quickly.  Like, within a week.  So, yes, we have a new kid in the house, Victoria, from Norway.  

She's a cute little button, a 17 year-old who was having a rough  time with her original host family in another town.  So we'll have her here with us til the end of the school year.  This past week or two has been a whirlwind of paperwork, and school registration, and bedroom set-up, and moving in, and getting settled... it's been super busy.  So far so good though - it seems like it will be a good and natural fit.  It's nice because she is completely fluent in English, so there is really no language barrier at all, though the kids like when she speaks Norwegian.

Alex, Victoria the Norwegian, Brookie and Megan
When he was little,  my son Alex thought Norwegians were from Norwegia.  Like, Norwegia was the country, and not Norway.  That always made me laugh.  He's got Victoria teaching him Norwegian terms and words already and he's actually sounding pretty good!  

This Christmas may be a little out of control with the amount of foreign people in my family room.  Kara is bringing two of her visiting Australian friends home on Christmas Eve, so they'll spend the holiday with us, and we'll already have Norway here.  It will be a full house, let me tell you.  I have no idea where everyone is going to fit.  And I'm semi-overwhelmed with the thought of what to get extra people for gifts... oh well.  It will all be nice I hope.  I better take some extra crazy pills to keep me calm.  I may need to form an escape plan.

So since my plan to shop today went awry, I am definitely shopping tomorrow, off my couch and out into the wild.  But I am also definitely posting.  Because it has to happen.  See you bloggers tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment